Friday, June 29, 2007

CocoRosie - The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn

CocoRosie
The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn
(2007, Touch & Go)
4.0/10

CocoRosie are polarizers. There is no way to find a middle ground here, you either fall deeply in love or frantically escape. 2005’s album Noah’s Ark found me firmly in CocoRosie’s camp, defending their bizarro, freak folk (the only time this tag seems accurate). Unfortunately, it seems that their third album has quickly ushered me out of CocoRosie’s discordant earshot. It seems that this circus act has discovered a lost treasure chest of Wu Tang records and has fallen head over heels. Yep, with The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn you are listening to hip hop CocoRosie and this stuff is grating. I am talking about the kind of noise that makes you want to box your ears with bricks. Now, as a reference point here, I absolutely love and seek out unconventional noises and musical weirdness. I thrive on it really. Inventiveness is one of the most enjoyable and respectable attributes I seek when discovering new music, but honestly, Cocorosie is killing me. I have wavered a little bit on coming to grips with whether I liked this album or not. I have given it more than its fare share of “second chances” and the verdict is no. I will not subject myself to this. It is literally nauseating. CocoRosie may smirk at that response like it is an inside joke but I am glad to oblige them because if that is the reaction they are after, they have hit their mark. You’re not usually going to see many reviews here at Forest Gospel below a 7.0 because the intent of this site is to share what we love and recommend. I feel like it is important here to not recommend The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn.

-Mr. Thistle

No comments: