Tuesday, June 26, 2007

City of Caterpillar - S/T

Retrospective
City of Caterpillar
S/T
(2002, Level Plane)
9.0/10

I remember hearing about this band in a chat room (don’t ask me how that happened) about 6 years ago as a recommendation along side Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Audio Center. Anyway, I loved Godspeed and still do, so I took the invitation to look into the bands. Audio Center turned out to be an indie/emo combo that fulfilled its purpose whenever it was needed during those tumultuous teenage years. I would like to say that that that type of band has been in all of our lives but I am afraid that isn't as true as I would like it to be. City of Caterpillar was a bit elusive, however, and remained on a list of bands I wanted for about 3 years until I finally broke down and ordered it. Even with the lapse of time City of Caterpillar's self titled debut is one of very favourite albums of any genre. It perfectly combined two mild obsessions: instrumental indie rock (GYBE, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky) and experimental hardcore (Refused, Botch, Pg. 99). Oh man did this album floor me. I have to reiterate that I still love this album which is not something I can say for a lot of music that I listened to in High School (or even music I listened to last week). For some people this will never be appealing music but for any one who had any interest in the before referenced bands, City of Caterpillar is the watermark. The most accessible hardcore vocals, the most incredible instrumental crescendos, lo-fi muddy recordings, all in their only full length release - Legendary in my mind.

-Mr. Thistle

No comments: