Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters

The Twilight Sad
Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
(2007, Fat Cat)
6.0/10

It is unfortunate to have to dislike this album for something as silly as an accent. What can I say though? All I can think of when I listen to this album is William Wallace and Groundskeeper Willie. Even while covering some significant, interesting sonic territory there is nothing that can distract me from the heavily drenched Scottish accent of The Twilight Sad’s vocals. That may sound petty but there is no use pretending. Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters carry some swelling post rock instrumentation, are signed to the incredible Fat Cat Records (Sigur Ros, Animal Collective, Black Dice) and have received moderate critical nods elsewhere. It just doesn’t connect. I don’t know quite why either. I don’t mind Belle and Sebastian’s vocals and their most certainly Scottish. I hope I am not falling into some subconscious social elitism here but that’s that. His accent is too thick so I don’t like it. That’s all I can say. (some critic!)

-Mr. Thistle

The Twilight Sad - And She Would Darken The Memory

No comments: