Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lightning Dust - Lightning Dust

Lightning Dust
Lightning Dust
(2007, Jagjaguwar)
7.0/10

Lightning Dust is yet another side project of the notorious Black Mountain. These Vancouver acid folkers are taking the genre by storm. Amber Webber and Joshua Wells supposedly started this particular project in 2000, but it wasn't until June of this year that we heard their first release. I have to admit, when I first heard Amber Webber's vocals on Black Mountain I wasn't a fan of the depressed vibrato and intense swellings. I guess she has grown on me. I actually really enjoy some of the vocals on Lightning Dust, especially on "Jump In" and "Heaven" where the couple's vocals are paired together. The music is extremely simplified, moving in slow gloomy gusts. It's like listening to a tired brooding storm, waiting for the lightning to strike, but it just passes over. This darkly psychedelic Space Rock album is sure to fit a somber mood more than most in its class. It's an interesting beginning in my newly created genre. slo-psych.


-Sassigrass

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dumb video