Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Little Dragon - Self Titled

Little Dragon
Little Dragon
(11.2007, Peacefrog)
Verdict = Swedish Soul Music

This review is going to end up being pretty short because I definitely have no clue what I’m talking about when it comes to R&B. However, Little Dragon is a breath of fresh, soulful air that is worth some attention. Tight jazz drums and sparse electronics are the bedding for indie diva Yukimi Nagano’s warm vocals. The music may come from Sweden, but it may as well have been birthed from, uh, wherever R&B was birthed because the music has got some serious grooves and Nagano’s perfectly eccentric vocals are well suited for the smoky sexiness of the tracks. Ha, I apologize, writing sexiness is somehow funny to me, I apologize. Regardless of my immaturity this is certainly sexy music and a perfect alternative to the current Beyonce drivel that is blaring on the radios. Essentially, Little Dragon is just a great crossover record, making modern soulful, jazzy R&B accessible to the modern hipster. A great debut album that harkens back to golden days of your old Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu records. Good stuff.

-Mr. Thistle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow.

I don't want to spoil that with adjectives, but that was a a beautiful music video.