Monday, August 4, 2008

Broken Social Scene presents Brendan Canning - Something For All of Us

Broken Social Scene Presents Brendan Canning
Something for All of Us…
Arts & Crafts.
Verdict: Pretty, but not endearing

Don’t get me wrong, I like the record... I just don’t love it. I suppose I may just be a little tired of the dried up Broken Social Scene sound. Or perhaps I am just living in the past and expecting too much out of a BSS co-founder and songwriter. This record is the second in the Broken Social Scene Presents series (the first being the solo album of the other BSS front-man: Kevin Drew). It is decidedly darker than most BSS material and hardly lacks in reverb guitars. Through the shoegaze fuzz Brendan Canning’s voice weakly strains and creates a nice ambiance. There is a psych-folk song in there somewhere and "Chameleon" has some really pretty string selections. The single that was released a while ago is called “Hit The Wall” and it’s ok. But what I want to hear disappears in the thick undergrowth of production. As you sip your ice-water you might me thinking “how can you say ‘what I want to hear’ about a record?” Well, I suppose if you bill yourself as 'Broken Social Scene Presents,' then you are setting yourself up for expectations. So enjoy it for what it is and join me in the I’ll-get-it-if-they-make-it club.

-King Cotton

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you seem pretty apathetic about this thing...

Anonymous said...

Man, I dunno, I think this album is pretty spectacular. It's a very different album than Kevin Drew's in some ways, but both sound like BSS. That's not necessarily the important part though. I think Canning just has a lot of really good songs.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the apathy came across, because yeah that is how I feel about it. I actually was really hoping that you weren't going to post it. Probably should just stick to reviews of things that I really like:)