Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Could've

The "could’ve" section. These are albums that, depending on the day, could have been interchangeable with many of the albums that made the final list, though, most likely in the latter ranks. I’m adding these mostly to complete the whole could’ve/would’ve/should’ve trilogy. Still, I have no problem blurbing about albums that I love, of which these qualify.

Juana Molina
Un Dia
(Domino, 2008)

Who at Domino thought that it would be a bad idea to put this album on vinyl? That’s what I want to know. I mean, people are aware of Juana Molina, right? And Domino isn’t exactly a petty label. And Un Dia is absolutely and completely, unequivocally, her best album, looped to bizarrely wonderful and always organic realms of wonder and mysticism. So, why?




Clinic
Internal Wrangler
(Domino, 2000)

A pretty standard decade-end listmaker, and for good reason. Internal Wrangler is claustrophobically tight, brooding little art rock record of purity and distinction. Oh how I would love for Clinic to reach these heights again. They’ve another new record set for this year, so here’s to hoping.





Avey Tare & Kria Brekkan
Pullhair Rubeye
(Paw Tracks, 2007)

This album is most notorious, to me at least, for receiving a 1.0 rating from Pitchfork. Which is ridiculous. The album is, I suppose (based on such reviews), frustrating because the entire thing was released in reverse: all instruments and lyrics playing backwards. Some have been savvy enough to correct this reversal by reversing it to its original composition, but I have avoided this. Pullhair Rubeye is just too wonderful the way it is, I wouldn’t want to dampen my listening experience by constantly having to refer to the forward playing version whenever I hear it. Really, one of the most beautiful albums of this past decade, there is no doubt. The only reason I omitted it was because I was already feeling guilty for all the Animal Collective albums I listed. Yet, this is a wholly unique venture and deserves a second attention, one divorced from attention deficit critics. So, so good.


Broadcast
Haha Sound
(Warp, 2003)

Gorgeous electropop bliss tempered with ample moments of crumbling electronic breakdowns and nuanced sound fissures, Haha Sound maintains a pitch perfect tone throughout. Mandatory listening for My Bloody Valentine apologists, with a pleasant twist that distances the band from any accusations of a watered down retread. An album (not to mention, a band) which has constantly been on my list of things to get to, but, of which, I never quite got around to until now.

-Thistle

2 comments:

Ryan M said...

Love Broadcast - both Tender Buttons and The Noise Made by People might edge out Haha Sound in my book, though. Still... Haha is amazing. I can't believe these guys didn't sneak onto my list either(!)

Sam said...

Dude this section is so strong.