Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Marnie Stern - This Is It...

Marnie Stern
This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That
(10.2008 Kill Rock Stars)
Verdict: I want to get in a fight with the album title.

My girlfriend dumped me recently. My first thought was to curl up in a ball and listen to an entire Elliott Smith album for the first time since high school. Luckily I decided against such self indulgence, imported the new Marnie Stern onto my IPod and air guitared away my troubles in the park. While Marnie Stern was not able to act as some miracle drug that wiped away all my cares, it did provide a surprising level of relief. I guess when you are listening to ear melting rock n' roll full blast as you flail around a swing set its hard to think of anything really. The good news is not much has changed since In Advance of the Broken Arm. Marnie can still shred with the best of them, if not better. Zach Hill is still a God among men when it comes to blasting beats. The songs are still pretty catchy despite being slightly ear grating, and will most likely be a key proponent into me acquiring hearing aids before I reach middle age. All in all this release is just as strong as her debut (maybe better) and has found a special place in my rock n' roll heart. Plus, she's one of the few artists that can overuse finger tapping without me wanting to punch them in the face. Screw Van Halen.

-Wooly Mammal

No comments: