Thursday, January 19, 2012

MoHa! - Meiningslaust Oppgulp (a singles compilation)






















(Rune Grammofon, 2011)

I'm a bad fan, apparently, of all my favorite bands.  First The Goslings and now MoHa!!  I'm really slipping folks.  Rune Grammofon, a year ago this month, released this limited edition MoHa! singles collection (makes me smile to imply the pop-music understanding of 'singles' to MoHa!) culled from their vinyl-only output between 2008 and when it was released.  I have a couple of those records--a 7" and split 10"--but not all of them, and I don't get to my vinyl nearly as often as I'd like, so this is a godsend.  And, just like with The Goslings, I'm ripe for the pummeling monstrosity of machine gun-strength/tempo noise that MoHa! is the grand standing masters of.  The duo's simply the best when it comes to breakneck free jazz crippled with electronic squalor then catapulted with wry punk abandon.  And it doesn't matter that Meiningslaust Oppgulp is a "singles compilation," the tracks here (ranging from 3 to 13 minutes) coalesce perfectly into this album length format they've been collected into.  Listening to them--Anders Hana and Morten J. Olsen--work through each of these tracks is like listening to an giant infinite-tentacled beast dismantling entire cities to a stop watch.  Utterly exhilarating, spastic and, occasionally, when locking into some sickly groove, unexpectedly coherent.  The compilation is a perfect example why MoHa! is one of my very favorite bands.  And, in terms of retroactive re-organization, listmaking, all that stuff--flippant and overt valuation--in case you're curious, this would likely plant itself right behind Amateur Doubles (that's spot no. 2) on my 2011 year end list.  Which means, if you hadn't gathered as much already, that it's essential listening.  (Also, listmaking is bad for your health.)

Flisespikking/ Lyd med Tenner/ Mjøl di eiga kake by MoHa!

No comments: