Saturday, June 15, 2013

2013 Halfway Checkpoint


We're approaching the halfway point of the year again and I'm more on-again-off-again with FG than I've ever been. My listening habits have gone lax. It's been almost a year since my headphones broke and two years since we buried my iPod. That means the only music listening I do is in the car and occasionally on the laptop. Add to that an approaching cross-country move from Rhode Island to Missouri and you'll get a sense of odd factors inhibiting my listening habits as of late. That said, I have still been listening to a lot of really awesome music. Forest Gospel as a whole (you may know) roots for the underdogs. I always assume if you've found you're way here, you're already aware of My Bloody Valentine (and their newest album). That said, this list does not cater to any demographic. This is simply my favorite 25 records so far this year (in alphabetical order). And yes, Justin Timberlake's 20/20 is among them (and perhaps more surprisingly, Vampire Weekend). Would be happy to hear what you are enjoying most this year in the comments.

Alan Licht - Four Years Older
Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
Cindy Lee - Tatlashea
Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 3
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record
Eluvium - Nightmare Ending
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
The Focus Group - The Elektrik Karousel
Iceage - You're Nothing
Jar Moff - Commercial Mouth
Justin Timberlake - 20/20
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
L. Pierre - The Island Come True
Little Women - Lung
Majical Cloudz - Impersonator
Marisa Anderson - Mercury
Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia
Millipede - The Lower World
Mostly Other People Do The Killing - Slippery Rock
My Bloody Valentine - m b v
Sam Hamilton - Integrifolia
Thundercat - Apocalypse
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Zs - Grain

4 comments:

Tjaard said...

Although they're not (all) from 2013, I've listened mainly to:
-Mac Demarco - Rock And Roll Nightclub
-Slow Warm Death - Slow Warm Death
-Konx-Om-Pax - Regional Surrealism
-Master Musicians Of Bukkake - Totem Three
-WOLVON - folds.
-Dustin Wong - Dreams Say, View, Create, Shadow Leads

trickmytrick said...

The new Eluvium is great, should be on everyones list.

Some of my favs so far include the new Boards of Canada, Bibio (Warp is on fire this year), A Hawk and A Hacksaw, and for some reason Young Galaxy's Ultramarine.....

Also might I recommend the reissue of Lee Hazelwood's long lost gem "Trouble Is A Lonesome Town". That is something of it's own! Light In The Attic reissued it. Great label, check it out.

So many more but I can't remember right now... you got some goodies on your list for sure!

ad said...

The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Mary Lattimore - The Withdrawing Room (most beautiful record of the year)
Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
Deerhunter - Monomania
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
Terror Bird - All This Time

Nick said...

Tjaard: Thanks for reminding me about that Slow Warm Death album. I've been meaning to get around to it. (I've been listening to a lot of Mac Demarco this year too.)

trickmytrick: I'll have to look up that Lee Haselwood album. Love Light In The Attic reissues.

o: I'm just listening to that Mary Lattimore album. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for mentioning it.